Junior Job Shadow Program
Career Exposure Experience
(Junior Job Shadow Program)
We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to former and future Business Partner Mentors. The time and effort you extend to our students makes such a tremendous difference in their lives.
The intention of the Upper Columbia Academy “Career Exposure Experience” is to encourage students to dream of a promising future by providing them experiences in the real-world environment of their possible career choices. These experiences help students clarify their decisions as they look ahead to college and other training programs.
- The 2020 Job Shadow dates are: February 14-18, 2022 immediately following February home-leave. Students and Mentors finish February 21 with an exit interview that is provided by the UCA Job Shadow Coordinator.
- Starting in the fall, students take part in career assessments/testing in class. They also learn how to prepare for the working world, which includes everything from writing resumes and cover letters to how to dress and prepare for an interview.
- Students are trained on the “soft skills” in the workplace; at an evening event, here on campus, a few weeks prior to their job shadow start date.
- The goal is for students to work 4 regular work days (this can vary by type of internship work.)
- Interns are covered by UCA liability insurance while on-site or participating in any activity related to their job shadow.
- All Upper Columbia Academy juniors are required to complete a job shadow with an organization/business of their own choosing at their home base or elsewhere with parental permission. The job shadow concludes with the intern’s report and presentation of learning. Students receive credit for successfully completing their job shadow and related course work.